Changing the background and context of the play ‘’ For a drop of water.’’

by - November 03, 2022

Changing the background and context of the play ‘’ For a drop of water.’’ 

Project work on changing the background and context and the behaviour of the characters of the play '' For a drop of water.'' 

Changing the background of an English Play.

H.S. English Project.   



For a little rest :- 

Original Play : Obak Jolpan ( For a drop of water ) written by Sukumar Roy.  

Characters :- 
(i) A traveller 
(ii) A social worker 
(iii) A political leader 
(iv) A teenage boy 
(v) A philosopher 
(vi) A teacher

Time : 12 at noon 
Place : A sub-urban city 

SCENE : ONE 

The traveller enters the stage. He has some luggage in his both hands. He is looking very tired and restless. His clothes are not looking so good. 

The traveller : I am going to die if I can’t find a place for a little rest right now. For the last three days I have been roaming here and there for a good place to stay. But could’t find any. Oh God I am terribly tired and right now I badly need a place for a little rest , otherwise I will die. 

[ The social worker enters the stage. He is walking over the stage from one end to other. ] 

The traveller : Hay man , listen ………..

The social worker : Are you talking to me ? 

The traveller : Yes , yes , I badly need your help . Please help me . I am in a terrible condition. 

The social worker : Yes , you found the right person. I am a social worker and I feel quite happy to help others. What is your problem ? 

The traveller : I am a traveller from a city far away from here and I am looking for a place to reside. But for three days I have been walking but have not found any place. Today I am too tired to walk even a step . Please help me ; I badly need a place for rest right now. 

The social worker : Look brother ,it is the problem of the whole civilisation. Lots of people are still homeless. In summer , in monsoon or even in summer they are there under the open sky. Our aim is to provide them at least a shelter for them. Your interest is very little , our goal is wider. 

The traveller : Please brother , please help me , I am very tired. 

The social worker : Shame on you . Millions of people are still homeless and you are crying for your own interest ! What a cheap person you are !  

The traveller : Are you mad ? Here I am requesting your help for a place to rest and you are giving the speech about civilisation !  Such an inhuman you are. Ok, leave me alone , I will find out for myself. 

The social worker : Selfish , very selfish…….. [ leaving the stage ] 

The traveller : Mad , he is surely mad. Ok, let's look a little further. 


SCENE : TWO 

The traveller : No, I can't stand it anymore. I feel sick. 

[ The political leader enters ] 

The traveller : Hello brother , please help me. 

The political leader : To help others is my passion. I am a political leader. I will always be there to help others. Tell me what you need ?

The traveller : I need a place for rest. I have been walking since the morning. But could’t find any place to stay. 

The political leader : Don’t worry brother ,  I will raise the matter in the assembly. The government must make a polity for those who have not a place to rest. 

The traveller : In the assembly ! 

The political leader : Yes brother , in the assembly. ( proudly ) 

The traveller : But I only need a place to rest ! 

The political leader : Don’t worry , we will force the government to make a policy for you. 

The traveller ( disappointed ) : Ok , thank you. 

[ Both left the stage ] 

SCENE : THREE 

[ A teenage boy is speaking with someone over the mobile phone. The traveller enters ] 

The traveller : Hello , young brother, can you help me ? 

The teenage boy : Yes, tell me , how can I help you ? 

The traveller : I have been walking for a long time. Now I badly need a place to rest. 

The teenage boy : You mean you need a chair. Look uncle this is a very small town and there is no shop to sell chairs at this moment. You may buy some wood and hire a carpenter to make a chair. It will take two or three days. 

The traveller : Two or three days ! It is impossible for me to wait for two or three days . And afterall I don't need a chair , I want a place for rest. 

The teenage boy : But without a chair, how do you get your rest ? 

The traveller : Oh God ! Ok, I don’t need a place for rest nor a chair. Thank you for your cooperation. 

The teenage boy : Then why did you ask me for that ? 

The traveller : Sorry , please forgive me . Oh…….. ( leaving from the stage ) 


SCENE : FOUR 

The traveller : All the people seemed crazy ! My god ! 

The Philosopher ( from the background ) God ! God is a sense of ethics and honesty . But today ethics and honesty both are vanished.  

The traveller : ( Aside ) One more crazy person indeed ! (Aloud ) Who ? Who is there ? 

[ The philosopher enters ] 

The philosopher : I am a philosopher and my philosophy is to spread morality , ethics and honesty to this society. You are looking like a good person . Can you help me in this noble work ? 

The traveller : But here I badly need someone’s help .

The philosopher : Help ! What kind of help ? 

The traveller : I need a place for rest. 

The philosopher : Rest ! Don’t take a rest . Life is the other name of work and not rest. So active all the time to explore the beauty of this creation. 

The traveller : But I have been walking for a long time and now I am too tired to walk anymore. 

The philosopher :  This is your illusion. People never get tired. 

The traveller : Oh , my god , another crazy person again ! 

The philosopher : You may call me crazy; But everyone in this world is crazy in one way or another. 

The traveller : Ok , thank you , leave me alone . [ leaving the stage ] 

The philosopher : I have never seen such crazy people in my life. 


SCENE : FIVE 

The traveller : I feel like I'm in a mental hospital. All , all are crazy………. 

[ The teacher enters . ] 

The traveller ( After looking at the teacher ) But this fellow looks sincere . Gentleman ……… gentleman ……. 

The teacher ( Some books in his hands ) : Are you calling me ? 

The traveller : Yes , yes , if you don't mind , can I ask you a question ? 

The teacher : Yes , why not ? 

The traveller : Where are you going ? 

The teacher : I am a school teacher and I am going to school . 

The traveller : Fine ,   Can you take me to your school ? I Badly need a little rest . 

The teacher : Look Mr , my school is not a place for taking rest. You may go elsewhere. 

The traveller : But I tried all the way , I have been walking since the morning and now I badly need some rest. Please help me. 

The teacher : Look Mr.  Don't take too much rest; Students who take too much rest do not perform well in exams. 

The traveller : But I am not a student . I am a middle aged man ! 

The teacher : This is your false identity. Actually everyone is a student. Even me . We all learn from this nature , from this society throughout our lives. 

The traveller : I thought you were a normal person . 

The teacher :   Yes, I am definitely a normal person; There is no reason to consider me as a noble person. 

The traveller : Oh, my God ! 

The teacher : Are you mad ? Why are you calling me god ? I am not God. I am a common man. 

The traveller : I think you are going to school .

The teacher : Oh ! I forgot that , Ok bye. [ exits ] 

The traveller : It is better not to seek rest in this city; Then I will be crazy like them. I'm leaving anyway . 

[ Curtain down slowly. ] 

List of Subjects - 



You May Also Like

0 comments